National Guard or Reserve members are also eligible that meet the following service requirements.
|When did you serve?||You meet the minimum active-duty service requirement if you served for at least this amount of time:|
|Between August 2, 1990, and the present (Gulf War)||90 days of active-duty service|
|Any time period||6 creditable years in the Selected Reserve or National Guard, and one of the descriptions below is true for you|
At least one of these must be true. You:
Were discharged honorably, or Were placed on the retired list, or Were transferred to the Standby Reserve or an element of the Ready Reserve other than the Selected Reserve after service characterized as honorable, or Continue to serve in the Selected Reserve
What if I don’t meet the service requirements?
You may still be eligible if you were discharged for one of the reasons listed below.
- The convenience of the government (you must have served at least 20 months of a 2-year enlistment
- Early out (you must have served 21 months of a 2-year enlistment
- Reduction in forc
- Certain medical condition
- A service-connected disability (a disability related to your military service)
To determine if you are eligible, please provide your discharge paperwork and we will submit a request for your certificate of eligibility.
Am I eligible if I am a surviving spouse?
VA has the following eligibility requirements for surviving spouses. At least one of these items must be true.
- If the Vet is missing in action
- If the Vet is a prisoner of war – POW for short
- If the vet died while in service or from a serviced-connected disability and you didn’t get remarried
- If the vet died while in service or from a serviced-connected disability and you didn’t get remarried before Dec 16, 2003 or before you were 57 years old