Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Siskiyou County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down up to $5,000,000* (Subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250* (Call 888-573-4496 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Siskiyou County. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA house loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Siskiyou County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Siskiyou County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Siskiyou County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of March 31st, 2021, the median home value for Siskiyou County is $228,181. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $45,241.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $600.
- Individual Condo: $600.
- Manufactured Homes: $600.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $850.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 10 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- In Siskiyou County, there are very few flood hazard areas. Although, they are all located around low elevation areas immediately surrounding bodies of water like rivers and creeks.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Craig S. Kay is the Siskiyou county tax assessor. His office can be reached at 311 Fourth Street, Room 108 Yreka, CA 96097. In addition, his office can also be reached by calling (530) 842-8036.
- The state of California offers various incentive programs that expand statewide for new, growing, and relocating businesses. Two of these programs are California Competes Tax Credit which offers qualifying businesses tax credit and the New employment Credit program which offers a tax credit for taxpayers who hire full-time employees. These and many other programs help to further diversify the state’s economy.
What is the Population?
- As of 2019, Siskiyou County’s population is 43,539 which includes about 3,874 veterans. Moreover, demographically speaking, 75% of the population is White, with 12% Hispanic, and 5% American Indian.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 20% under 18 years old and 26% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 19,257 households, with an average of two people per household.
What are the major cities?
The county has nine cities, including the city of Yreka which serves as the county seat. In addition, the eight other cities in the county are Dorris, Dunsmuir, Etna, Fort Jones, Lake Shastina, Montague, Mount Shasta, Tulelake, and Weed.
About Siskiyou County
Located in the central section of the Siskiyou Trail, which was used by natives in the area and stretched from California’s Central Valley to Oregon’s Willamette Valley. Siskiyou County was named after the Siskiyou mountain range which extends about 100 miles.
The county was eventually established in 1852, after gold was discovered in the area that is now part of the city of Yreka, California. In addition, this original influx of people is described in detail in Joaquin Miller’s semiautobiographical novel Life Amongst the Modocs.
Today, the county is home to strong healthcare, retail trade, and agriculture industries. Hence, the most common jobs in the county are in the office administrative, management, and sales sections.
Educationally speaking, the county is home to nine school districts that offer education ranging from pre-K to senior year in high school. In addition, higher education is also available within the county with the College of the Siskiyou which offers two-year degrees in the general sciences, criminal justice, and registered nursing.
In addition, the county is also home to the Klamath National Forest Interpretive Museum and the Siskiyou County Museum. In addition, the county is also home to various recreational areas like the Butte Valley National Grassland, Burney Falls, Lake Siskiyou, and Shasta Lake.
The county is currently home to 3,874 veterans.
- VA Medical Centers in the county:
- Yreka VA Clinic – 101 East Oberlin Road, Yreka, CA 96097.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Sierra County Veteran Services Office – 105 East Oberlin Road, Yreka, CA 96097.
Apply for a VA Home Loan
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
Currently, there are no VA-approved condos available in Siskiyou County. Although if you’re still interested in getting a condo through the approval process, call us at (877) 432-5626 and our team of real estate experts will assist you through the process.