Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Sebastian County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down payment up to $5,000,000* (subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250 (Call 877-432-5626 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Sebastian county. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA house loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Sebastian County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Sebastian County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Sebastian County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Pro tip: Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of March 31st, 2021, the median home value for Sebastian County is $133,844. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $46,228.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $500.
- Individual Condo: $500.
- Manufactured Homes: $550.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $550.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 10 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- There are some minimal flood hazard areas in Sebastian County, particularly at zones close to floodways and the main river, namely, the Arkansas River. Also, by some of its attached creeks such as Massad Creek, Grayson Creek, and Vache Grasse Creek.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Zach Johnson is the Sebastian County tax assessor. His office can be reached at 35 South 6th Street, Room 105, Fort Smith, Arkansas, 72901. Additionally, Zach’s office can also be reached by calling (479) 783-8948.
- In Arkansas, homeowners may receive a homestead property tax credit of up to $375 per year and must apply for the credit with the county assessor’s office to receive such a benefit.
- Furthermore, this benefit for homeowners is for those who are the property’s record owner, a buyer under a recorded sales contract, or a person holding a registered life estate in the property. Also, nursing homes or retirement center residents who still own their residence may continue to qualify for the homestead tax credit under certain circumstances.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 127,827 is 68% White, 14% Hispanic, and 7% Black.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 24% under 18 years old and 16% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 51,228 households, with an average of 2.4 people per household.
What are the major cities?
The county has nine large cities or towns, including Fort Smith and Greenwood, both of which serve as the county seat. Other cities and towns essential to the county’s life are Barling, Bonanza, Hackett, Hartford, Huntington, Lavaca, and Mansfield.
About Sebastian County
One of the most populated counties in Arkansas, Sebastian County was officially founded on January 6th, 1851, and was named after William K. Sebastian, who served as a U.S. Senator. It also features a multitude of excellent local resources. The county offers a wide variety of local attractions, including many beautiful outdoor spots. Try great local food and experience live music at any of the exciting local events.
People of all ages are sure to have a great time at any of the fun and exciting attractions in Sebastian County. For some fun and learning, be sure to visit any of the great local museums, including the Fort Smith Trolley Museum and the National U.S. Marshals Museum. The county is home to several casinos, including the Cherokee Casino and the Choctaw Casino.
Learn about local history at any of the impressive historical landmarks in the area, including the Clayton House, Massard Prairie Battlefield Park, and Belle Grove Historic District.
If you are a fan of the outdoors, you are sure to love all the beautiful waterways and parks in Sebastian County. The Fort Chaffee West Trail offers excellent views of the local landscape and is the perfect place for cycling, jogging, and a relaxing walk. Enjoy all your favorite aquatic activities at Caroll Ann Cross Lake, which is home to beautiful beaches and miles of scenic trails.
Furthermore, the county has a rich local culture showcased through many exciting events held in Sebastian County. The Peacemaker Music Festival features some of the best local musicians and artists, all showcasing their talents! Be sure to attend the July 4th Celebration to see an impressive fireworks display and parade. Additional significant events held in the county include the Ales for Trails Festival and the Riverfront Blues Festival.
The county is currently home to 8,542 veterans.
- Military Bases
- Fort Chaffee Maneuver Training Center – Post Headquarters, building 1370, Fort Smith Boulevard, Fort Chaffee, Arkansas 72905.
- Perry County is home to three VFW post:
- Post 8845 Jim Taylor Post – 3005 Tilles Avenue, Fort Smith, Arkansas 72901.
- Post 6527 Harris-Hannah Post – 305 C East Center, Greenwood, Arkansas 72936.
- Post 8245 Scott-Sebastian Post – 101 N Raymond Street, Huntington, Arkansas 72940.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Sebastian County Veterans Services Office – 35 S 6th Street, Room G-6, Fort Smith, Arkansas 72901.
VA Home Loan Information
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
|Name (ID): TIMBERWOOD, INC (000012)|
Address: 2937 SOUTH GARY
FORT SMITH AR 72901
Status: Accepted Without Conditions
Request Received Date: 02/01/2017
Review Completion Date: 03/21/2017