Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Modoc County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down payment up to $5,000,000* (subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250 (Call 877-432-5626 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Modoc county. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA house loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Modoc County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Modoc County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Modoc County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Pro tip: Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of March 31, 2021, the median home value for Modoc County is $139,271. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $45,507.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $600.
- Individual Condo: $600.
- Manufactured Homes: $600.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $850.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 10 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- In Modoc County, there are many flood plains, especially along the river and on irrigated farmlands. Your agent can help you to check whether a property will require flood insurance.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- For questions about property tax, you can get in touch with the Modoc County Assessor, Kristen DePaul. Her office is located at 204 South Court Street, STE 106 Alturas, CA 96101 and can be called at (530) 233-6218.
- Veterans, owner-occupiers, and senior citizens may be eligible for property tax relief. You can find out whether you qualify through the county assessor. In addition, the Assessor’s Office can do re-appraisals to determine property values and flood risks.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 8,841 is 77% White, 14% Hispanic, and 5% American Indian.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 19% under 18 years old and 27% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 3,660 households, with an average of two people per household.
What are the major cities?
Alturas is the county seat in Modoc and is the county’s only city. It has a population of 2,827. The next-largest community, California Pines, is home to 520 residents. Other notable communities are Cedarville, Newell, and Canby.
About Modoc County
Modoc County, California is known as “Where the West Still Lives” – a tribute to the county’s rugged frontier spirit. Residents are so proud of their ranching and cowboy past that the courthouse still features hooks where people can hang their cowboy hats. The county, established in 1846, was named after the Modoc Native Americans. Located on the northern edge of California, Modoc County offers a rich history and plenty of opportunities to embrace the great outdoors.
In addition to its famous forests, the county is also home to amazing rivers and lakes. Both Modoc and Lake Shasta National Forests contain miles of hiking trails, plenty of campsites, and even places for snowmobile riding in the winter months.
Indeed, Modoc residents love the snow they get each winter. One of the biggest events in Alturas is the yearly Winterfest. This festival features a cozy bonfire and a parade of lights. Another of the county’s most famous features is the snow-capped Warner Mountain Range, where you can see horses ranging over the slopes.
The county is currently home to 866 veterans.
- Modoc County is home to three VFW post:
- Post 3327 Pete Christensen – 508 South Main Street, Alturas, CA 96101.
- Post 7888 Surprise Valley – 29801 Country Road 1, Cedarville, CA 96104.
- Post 7144 Big Valley – Hwy 299E, Adin, CA 96006.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Modoc County Veteran Service Office – 202 West 4th Street, Suite F, Alturas, CA 96101.
VA Home Loan Information
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
Currently, there are no VA-approved condos in Modoc County. Although if you’re interested in getting a condo approved, we can assist you through the process. Call us at (877) 432-5626 and we will assist you through the condo approval process.