Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Miller County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down payment up to $5,000,000* (subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250 (Call 877-432-5626 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Miller county. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA home loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Miller County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Miller County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Miller County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Pro tip: Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of March 31, 2021, the median home value for Miller County is $108,788. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $43,371.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $500.
- Individual Condo: $500.
- Manufactured Homes: $550.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $550.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 10 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- In Miller County, there are some minimal flood hazard areas, particularly at zones close to the Red River that runs on the east side of the country and by the Sulphur River on the southwest side. Also, by some of their affluent waterways such as Boggy Creek, Cypress Slough, Nix Creek, and Days Creek.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Nancy G. Herron is the current Miller County, tax assessor. Her office is at 400 Laurel Street, Suite 100, Texarkana, Arkansas 71854 and by calling (870) 774-1502.
- For many years, Amendment 79, which Arkansas voters passed, is a law that allows a credit of up to $350 on the general taxes of an eligible taxpayer’s primary residence.
- In Arkansas, veterans can receive tax exemptions. For instance, A disabled veteran who has been awarded special monthly compensation by the Department of Veterans Affairs for service-connected one hundred percent total and permanent disability shall be exempt from payment of all state taxes on the homestead and personal property owned by the veteran.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 43,257 is 68% White, 25% Black, and 3.6% Hispanic.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 23% under 18 years old and 17% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 16,426 households, with an average of 2.5 people per household.
What are the major cities?
The county has 3 large cities, including Texarkana, which serves as the county seat. The other cities and towns essential to the county’s life are Fouke, Garland City.
About Miller County
Located on the southwestern edge of Arkansas, Miller County is a beautiful place to call home, thanks to the many local resources. Do not miss out on any of the fun and interesting attractions in the county, including museums, water parks, historic landmarks, and more. Nature-lovers are sure to enjoy the many scenic outdoor spots in the county, including parks, forests, lakes, and more!
If you are looking for some fun in your free time, then be sure to check out all the attractions in Miller County. Holiday Springs Water Park is the best place to cool off during the summer, featuring water slides, water rides, a lazy river, and much more.
Learn about the railroad history of the area at the Lindsey Railroad Museum, which features authentic tools and amazing displays. The Discovery Place Interactive Museum makes learning fun with its many hands-on exhibits. Other great attractions in the county include the Museum of Regional History and the Four States Auto Museum.
Take in some of the best views of the local landscape at any of the scenic outdoor spots in Miller County. Spring Lake Park brings in much of the local community for its excellent views, picnic shelters, playground equipment, and more. Spring Lake itself is one of the most popular sports in the area for fishing and boating. Other city parks in the area include Vera Bradfield Park and Bramble Park.
Receiving an excellent education in Miller County is easy, thanks to the great local schools. If you are interested in continuing your career, be sure to check out the great programs offered at the University of Arkansas Community College at Hope. Additional educational options in the area include Cossatot Community College, Southern Arkansas University, and Texarkana College.
The county is currently home to 2,896 veterans.
- Miller County is home to one VFW post:
- Post 4562 Billy T. Norton Post – 4700 East 9th Street, Texarkana, Arkansas 71854.
- VA Medical Centers in the county:
- Texarkana VA Clinic – 910 Realtor Road, Texarkana, Arkansas 71854.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Miller County Veterans Service Office – 400 Laurel Street, Suite 5, Texarkana, Arkansas 71854.
VA Home Loan Information
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
At the moment there are no VA-approved condos available in Miller County. However, it is still possible to get a condo through the approval process. Call us at (877) 432-5626 and we will help you through the approval process.