Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Madera County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down up to $5,000,000* (Subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250* (Call 888-573-4496 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Madera County. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA house loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Madera County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Madera County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Madera County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of March 31, 2021, the median home value for Madera County is $313,887. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $57,585.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $600.
- Individual Condo: $600.
- Manufactured Homes: $600.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $850.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 7 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- In Madera County, there are flood plains along the river and on farmland in the unincorporated County.
- Your agent can help you determine whether you’d be required to purchase flood insurance on a particular property.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- The current tax assessor is located at 200 West 4th Street, Madera, California 93637 and by calling (559) 675-7710.
- You can also contact the Assessor about appraisals or see if you qualify for property tax exemptions. The County offers them for disabled veterans, homeowner-occupiers, or senior citizens. Buyers can also apply to have the value of existing solar panels excluded from the assessment.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 157,327 is 58% Hispanic, 33% White, and 4.4% American Indian.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 27% under 18 years old and 14% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 44,881 households, with an average of 3.2 people per household.
What are the major cities?
The County has two cities, including the city of Madera, which serves as the county seat. The one other city in the County is the city of Chowchilla.
About Madera County
Located in the heart of California’s Central Valley and the Sierra Nevada that lies north of Fresno County is Madera County – perhaps best known for the world-famous Yosemite National Park. Madera, like other California counties, has its history tied to the lumber industry, as it was named with the California Lumber Company built a log flume to carry lumber to the Central Pacific Railroad there in 1876.
In addition, Madera County has a very rich agricultural tradition, which is now happily coexisting with a growing industrial base in the area. People in Madera County have a strong sense of community and a welcoming spirit that says to newcomers to the area, “here’s a good place to call home.”
Because of its proximity to nearby Yosemite and the nearby Sierra National Forest, Madera County has become home to numerous artists taking their inspiration from nature. There are numerous galleries, including what is known as “Gallery Row.” If you’re into photography, you can create your own art by taking a photographic excursion of Yosemite with several photo tours and safaris.
Furthermore, if you prefer performing arts, you should check out the Golden Chain Theatre – a theatre that has been operating in the County for over 40 years. And if you’re a golfer, Madera County offers you a course ideally situated below the snow line of the Sierra Nevada Mountains.
The county is currently home to 6,317 veterans.
- Madera County is home to three VFW post:
- Post 1981 Corp. Herbert E. Macon Post – 2026 North Granada Dr. Madera, California 93637.
- Post 9896 Richard Corbett Brown Post – 245 South 5th street, Chowchilla, California 93610.
- Post 8743 Sierra Post – 40056 Indian Springs Road, Oakhurst, California 93644.
- VA Medical Centers in the county:
- Oakhurst VA Clinic – 40597 Westlake Drive, Oakhurst, California 93644.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Madera County Veterans Service Office – 200 West 4th Street, Madera, California 93637.
Apply for a VA Home Loan
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
At the moment there are no VA-approved condos in Madera County. However, it is still possible to get a condo approved by the VA by getting it through the condo approval process. Call us at (877) 432-5626 and we will assist you through the process.