Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Lassen County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down up to $5,000,000* (Subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250* (Call 888-573-4496 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Lassen County. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA home loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Lassen County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Lassen County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Lassen County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Wait until the appraisal to lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of March 31, 2021, the median home value for Lassen County is $187,146. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $56,352.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $600.
- Individual Condo: $600.
- Manufactured Homes: $600.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $850.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 10 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- In Lassen County, these flood zones are along irrigation drainages and rivers. For example, parts of Susanville that are near the Susan River are in a floodway. Your agent can help you determine whether you’d be required to purchase flood insurance on a particular property.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Nick Ceaglio is the current tax assessor for Lassen County. His office is located at 107 South Roop Street, Susanville, California 96130. His office can also be reached at (530) 251-8241.
- The state of California offers incentive programs that expand statewide for new, growing, and relocating businesses. Two of these programs are the California Competes Tax Credit which offers qualifying businesses with a tax credit, and the New employment Credit which offers a tax credit for taxpayers who hire full-time employees. Furthermore, the state offers several other incentives.
What is the Population?
The county’s population of 30,573 is 64% White, 19% Hispanic, and 8% Black.
What are the major cities?
The County has one city, including the city of Susanville, which serves as the county seat.
About Lassen County
Located in the northeast portion of California, where the Sierra Nevada and Cascade mountains come together with the desert of the Great Basin, Lassen County is known for its diverse natural offerings that provide many year-round activities. If you’re looking for a place with clean air, low crime rates, minimal traffic congestion, and a lower cost of living, Lassen County is a place for you.
Residents enjoy a near-ideal climate: rainless, moderate days with cooler nights. Considered the “high desert,” Lassen County attracts lots of horseback riders and off-road vehicles. Lassen National Forest and Lassen Volcanic National Park feature world-class winter activities including downhill and cross-country skiing as well as trails for snowmobiles and snowshoe hiking.
The area was formally known as a timber processing area and was part of California’s vibrant lumber industry. One of the biggest companies at the time was the Red River Lumber Company of Westwood, which had the world’s largest electrical sawmill.
The County’s rugged reputation extends back to its founding in April of 1864. When it came time to choose a name for the County, they decided to name it after Peter Lassen, a famous guide and trapper from the area. From these humble beginnings as a trappers’ and hunters’ outpost, Lassen has grown into a modern community without sacrificing the connection to the outdoors that brought people there in the first place.
The county is currently home to 1,984 veterans.
- Lassen County is home to one VFW post:
- Post 2381 William Davidson Post – 1205 Main Street, Ste 102, Susanville, California 96130.
- VA Medical Centers in the county:
- Diamond View VA Clinic – 110 Bella Way, Susanville, California 96130.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Lassen County Veterans Service Office – 1205 Main Street, #101, Susanville, California 96130.
Apply for a VA Home Loan
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
There are no VA-approved condos available in Lassen County although it is possible for you to get a condo approved in the county. All you need to do is call us at (877) 432-5626 and we will assist you through the condo approval process.