Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Lake County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down up to $5,000,000* (Subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250* (Call 888-573-4496 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Lake County. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA mortgage loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Lake County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Lake County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Lake County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of March 31, 2021, the median home value for Lake County is $289,991. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $47,040.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $600.
- Individual Condo: $600.
- Manufactured Homes: $600.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $850.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 7 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- Lake County has many flood zones. Many of them, as expected, are near the Lake. However, there is also a floodway that passes through a section of Clearlake. Your agent can help you to check whether a particular property is in a flood hazard area. Also, FEMA recommends people purchase fire insurance if their property is on land damaged by wildfires, even if it is not required.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Richard A. Ford is the current Assessor-Recorder in Lake County. His office is located at Lake County Courthouse 255 North Forbes Street Rm. 223 Lakeport, CA 95453 and can be reached by calling (707) 263-2302.
- The Assessor’s Office is where you can learn about your property taxes in Lake County and file your statement online. You can also contact the Assessor about appraisals or see if you qualify for tax relief for disabled veterans, homeowner-occupiers, or senior citizens.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 64,386 is 68% White, 2% Hispanic, and 4.7% Mixed Race.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 21% under 18 years old and 23% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 25,660 households, with an average of 2.4 people per household.
What are the major cities?
The County has two cities, including the city of Lakeport, which serves as the county seat. The one other city in the County is Clearlake.
About Lake County
Formed in 1861 from land that made up Mendocino and Napa counties, Lake County is located north of the San Francisco Bay Area and is home to Clear Lake, the largest lake situated entirely in California. Wine, hiking trails, and national parks are, usually, at the forefront of the general public’s mind when it comes to Lake County.
Eighty-eight miles north of San Francisco, Clear Lake offers an abundance of boating, fishing, hiking, and biking, among other outdoor recreational activities. Some of the cleanest air and breathtaking scenery puts Lake County in the same conversation as any other American county known for its natural environment.
Often overlooked, especially with Napa nearby, is the high-quality wine put out by the surviving wineries of Lake County. Called “the undiscovered wine country” local wineries thrive today. New and innovative wineries utilizing sustainable, organic growing principles have continually been award-winners in competitions.
Many small faults lay south of the lake, with the Clear Lake Volcanic Field considered to be the source of heat for the formation of mercury and gold ores originally found in the area. The county is surrounded by hills, making it the only county in California never to have a railroad line.
Veteran homeowners in Lake County benefit from property tax exemptions established by the state of California. A veteran’s exemption of up to $4,000 exists for eligible applicants, while a Disabled veteran’s exemption of up to far greater sums is accessible for disabled veterans with a 100 percent disability rating (injury is service-related) and the surviving spouses of disabled veterans.
The county is currently home to 5,360 veterans.
- Lake County is home to one VFW post:
- Post 2337 Clearlake Highlands Post – 3980 Veterans Lane, Clearlake, California 95422.
- VA Medical Centers in the county:
- Clearlake VA Clinic – 15145 Lakeshore Drive, Clearlake, California 95422.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Lake County Veterans Service Office – 285 North Main Street, Lakeport, California 95453.
Apply for a VA Home Loan
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
Currently, there are no VA-approved condos in Lake County. Although if you’re still interested in getting a condo in the county call us at (877) 432-5626 and our team of real estate experts will help you through the condo approval process.