Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Gilpin County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down payment up to $5,000,000* (subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $596,850 (Call 877-432-5626 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Gilpin county. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA home loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Gilpin County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Gilpin County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Gilpin County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Pro tip: Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of April 31, 2021, the median home value for Gilpin County is $409,759. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $76,429.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $750.
- Individual Condo: $775.
- Manufactured Homes: $800.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $950.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 7 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- There is no Digital Data in the FEMA Flood Map Service Center for Gilpin County. However, there are potential flood hazard areas located around North Clear Creek and South Boulder Creek.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Anne Schafer is the Tax Assessor for Gilpin County. Her office address is 203 Eureka Street PO Box 338, Central City, Colorado 80427. If you’d like to call her office, you can do so by calling (303) 582-5451.
- The state of Colorado offers Coloradoans the opportunity to be eligible for the Property Tax, Rent, Heat Credit Rebate (PTC Rebate). Some basic requirements are that applicants live in Colorado for at least one year, be 65 years or older, or the surviving spouse of 58 years of age, or a disabled person. Income and expenses will guide how much is given in the rebate.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 6,243 is 87% White, 7.1% Hispanic, and 2.1% Mixed Race.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 14% under 18 years old and 17% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 2,802 households, with an average of 2.1 people per household.
What are the major cities?
The County has two cities, Black Hawk and Central City, the latter of which serves as the county seat.
About Gilpin County
Formed in 1861, Gilpin County was named for Colonel William Gilpin. Colonel William Gilpin was the first Governor of the Territory of Colorado. Gilpin County neighbors the Continental Divide and is less than an hour away from the City of Denver.
The county offers a vast amount of outdoor recreation areas, including a number of parks and forests. One of the larger parks in Gilpin County is the Golden Gate State Park. Golden Gate State Park is located in the heart of the Golden Gate Canyon, which is the home of 12,000 acres of pure forest. Golden Gate is the perfect place for hiking, skiing, horseback riding, mountain biking, and much more.
Additionally, the County is home to a quality educational system served by the Gilpin County School District. The school system, although small, provides quality education to all of its estimated 480 students annually. This is because there is a student-teacher ratio of 14 to 1, enabling teachers to personalize their teaching styles to better match students who might be struggling.
Outside of school, the County is also home to quality art and cultural areas, including the Central City Opera House, which entertains every year. The Teller House, formerly a casino, was built in 1872 and currently serves as a delicious restaurant famous for its painting named “Face on the Bathroom Floor,” which was painted by local artist Herndon Davis after he was fired from the Teller House in 1936.
The county is currently home to 732 veterans.
- Perry County is home to one VFW post:
- Post 7563 Stanley Nelson Post – 101 Wagon Wheel Tail, Black Hawk, CO 80422.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Gilpin County Veterans Service Office – 2960 Dory Hill Rd, Suite 100, Black Hawk, CO 80422.
VA Home Loan Information
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
Currently, there are no VA-approved condos available in Gilpin County. However, it is possible to get a condo through the condo approval process by calling (877) 432-5626 where our team of real estate experts will help you through the process.