Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Costilla County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down payment up to $5,000,000* (subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250 (Call 877-432-5626 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Costilla County. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA house loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Costilla County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Costilla County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Costilla County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Pro tip: Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of April 31, 2021, the median home value for Costilla County is $128,756. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $30,965.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $1000.
- Individual Condo: $1025.
- Manufactured Homes: $1050.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $1200.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 15 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- There is currently no digital data for Costilla County in the FEMA Flood Map Service. Although, there might be some flood hazards
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Thomas Aragon is the Tax Assessor for Costilla County. His office address is PO Box 344, San Luis, Colorado 81152, and his phone number is (719) 937-7670.
- Colorado State offers Coloradoans the opportunity to be eligible for the Property Tax, Rent, Heat Credit Rebate (PTC Rebate). Some basic requirements are that applicants live in Colorado for at least one year, be 65 years or older, or the surviving spouse of 58 years of age, or a disabled person. Income and expenses will guide how much is given in the rebate.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 3,887 is 61% Hispanic, 33% White, and 5.3% American Indian.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 19% under 18 years old and 26% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 1,746 households, with an average of 2.1 people per household.
What are the major cities?
The County has two towns, Blanca and San Luis, with the latter one serving as the county seat.
About Costilla County
Costilla County was one of the original 17 counties to be created in Colorado. The area was the first county in Colorado to be settled in by European-Americans. Costilla County is currently the ninth least populated county in Colorado.
Costilla County is known for its amazing views from Blanca Peak. This peak, located in the Town of Blanca, stands at an elevation of 14,345 feet. The county is also home to R&R Supermarket, the oldest continuously operating business in Colorado. The towns in Costilla County offer a variety of gift shops that sell leatherwork, handmade jewelry, and Indian crafts.
Thanks to the abundance of reservoirs, Costilla is the perfect area for fishing and boating. Eastdale, Sanchez, Smith, and Mountain Home are all reservoirs that can be found in Costilla County. The county is also home to diverse wildlife, including deer, elk, antelope, and bighorn sheep. Thanks to the quiet, natural surroundings, Costilla County brings in many visitors from all over the county.
The County is also home to beautiful natural scenery, which can be enjoyed in nearby Alamosa National Wildlife Refuge, the Great Sand Dunes National Park, and Monte Vista National Forest. All of these places are less than an hour away from the town of San Luis.
Furthermore, in addition to its workforce, the County is also home to two small school districts that provide about 400 students every year. Also, these school districts have a student-to-teacher ratio of twelve to one, which means that students get to enjoy a more focused learning curriculum that can improve the quality of education they offer.
The county is currently home to 406 veterans.
- Perry County is home to one VFW post:
- Post 6101 San Luis Post – San Luis, CO 81152.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Costilla County Veterans Service Office – 400 Gaspar Street, San Luis, CO 81152.
VA Home Loan Information
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
Currently, there are no VA-approved condos in Costilla County where it is still possible to get a condo through the condo approval process. Call us at (877) 432-5626 and we will assist you through the approval process.