Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Conejos County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down payment up to $5,000,000* (subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250 (Call 877-432-5626 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Conejos County. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA house loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Conejos County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Conejos County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Conejos County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Pro tip: Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of April 31, 2021, the median home value for Conejos County is $145,643. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $36,084.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $1000.
- Individual Condo: $1025.
- Manufactured Homes: $1050.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $1200.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 15 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- There is no digital data currently available for flood hazard areas in the FEMA Flood Map Service Center. However, there might be some flood hazard areas around the Conejos River.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Naomi Keys is the tax assessor for Conejos County, and her office is located at 6683 County Road, Conejos, Colorado 81129 and by calling (719) 376-5585.
- Colorado State offers Coloradoans the opportunity to be eligible for the Property Tax, Rent, Heat Credit Rebate (PTC Rebate). Some basic requirements are that applicants live in Colorado for at least one year, be 65 years or older, or the surviving spouse of 58 years of age, or a disabled person. Income and expenses will guide how much is given in the rebate.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 8,205 is 51% Hispanic, 45% White, and 4% American Indian.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 25% under 18 years old and 19% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 3,183 households, with an average of 2.5 people per household.
What are the major cities?
The County has five towns, Antonio, La Jara, Manassa, Romero, and Sanford. The county seat is in the census-designated Conejos.
About Conejos County
The name, Conejos County, comes from the Spanish word “Conejo,” which means rabbit. The county was named this because of the abundance of rabbits in the area. Conejos County was one of the 17 original counties to be created by the General Assembly in Colorado. It is located at the southern end of the majestic San Luis Valley. The highest mountains in Conejos stand at an elevation of 13,000 feet.
The county is the site of some of the earliest settlements in Colorado. There are many important historical sites, including the Cumbres and Toltec Scenic Railroad, which was constructed in 1800. The oldest church in Colorado, Our Lady of Guadalupe Catholic Parish, is located in Conejos County.
Residents who want to take a break from school and work can enjoy going to Rio Grande National Forest and enjoy the beautiful outdoors. Several camping areas and about thirty trails are also available within the forest, which give visitors a great view of the beautiful wilderness and nature.
Furthermore, in addition to its workforce, the County is also home to three school districts that offer educational opportunities to more than 1,400 students every year. In total, there are ten schools within those three school districts from kindergarten to 12th grade. These school districts also have an average teacher to student ratio of 14 to 1, leading to more focused teaching methods yielding better results.
The county is currently home to 544 veterans.
- Perry County is home to one VFW post:
- Post 4849 Conejos County Post – 6649 US HWY 285, Antonito, CO 81120.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Conejos Veterans Affairs Office – 12987 Co Rd G, Antonito, CO 81120.
VA Home Loan Information
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
There are currently no VA-approved condos available in Conejos County. Although it is still possible to get a condo through the condo approval process by calling (877) 432-5626.