Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Bent County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down payment up to $5,000,000* (subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250 (Call 877-432-5626 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Bent county. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA house loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Bent County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Bent County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Bent County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Pro tip: Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of April 31, 2021, the median home value for Bent County is $80,857. In addition, the median household income for residents of the County is $30,900.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $1000.
- Individual Condo: $1025.
- Manufactured Homes: $1050.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $1200.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 15 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- There is currently no FEMA Flood Map Center digital data for Bent County. However, there are flood hazards that might be located around the Arkansas River and the Purgatoire River.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Guy Wagner is the current tax assessor of Bent County. His office is at 725 Bent Avenue, Las Animas, Colorado 81054 and can also be reached by calling (719) 456-2010.
- Colorado State offers Coloradoans the opportunity to be eligible for the Property Tax, Rent, Heat Credit Rebate (PTC Rebate). Some basic requirements are that applicants live in Colorado for at least one year, be 65 years or older, or the surviving spouse of 58 years of age, or a disabled person. Income and expenses will guide how much is given in the rebate.
What is the Population?
- The County’s population of 5,577 is 57% White, 32% Hispanic, and 7.3% Black.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 15% under 18 years old and 18% older than 65.
- In total, the County has about 1,767 households, with an average of 2.2 people per household.
What are the major cities?
The County has one city, Las Animas, which also serves as the county seat.
About Bent County
Founded in 1874, Bent County, Colorado, was named after William Bent, a well-known frontier trader and rancher in the American West’s early days. In its early history, the County’s area was mostly empty, with early Spanish explorers in the 1540’s declaring the land useless. Two hundred years later, Comanche people used the County and rode horses looking to expand Comanche territory. Eventually, the County did not see a boom in population until after the American Civil War.
In modern times, the County still has a small population and an economy where the biggest employment industries are the Agriculture, Public Administration, and Construction industries. As a result, more workers in the County have a job in the Office Administrative, Management, and Education Instruction.
When it comes to education, the County is home to two school districts like the McClave School District and Las Animas School District. Both of these school districts have about eight schools that educate 2,569 students from kindergarten to 12th grade. Due to the County’s low population, students get to have a student-to-teacher ratio of 15 to 1, allowing teachers to address students’ needs with learning difficulties.
In addition to school, people who want to learn more about the local history and culture can go to John W Rawlings Museum, where Bent County’s influence on the state’s development is on display.
People who enjoy the outdoors will enjoy visiting John Martin Reservoir State Park, where visitors can go boating, waterskiing, and many other water activities. The park also has several campgrounds like Hasty Campground, where people can fire up the grill and have a barbeque or host a party among family and friends.
The County is currently home to 427 veterans.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Bent County Veterans Service Office – 522 Carson Ave, Las Animas, CO 81054.
VA Home Loan Information
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
At the moment, there are no VA-approved condos available in Bent County. However, it is possible to get a condo through the approval process by calling (877) 432-5626.