Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Allen County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down up to $5,000,000* (Subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250* (Call 888-573-4496 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Allen County. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA home loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Allen County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Allen County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Allen County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of 2019, the median home value for Allen County is $173,553. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $54,857.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $525.
- Individual Condo: $525.
- Manufactured Homes: $525.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $675.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 5 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- In Allen County, most flood hazard areas are located around the Maumee River, St. Mary’s River, St. Josephs River, and Spy Run Creek.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Stacey O’Day is the Allen county tax assessor. Her office is located at 1 East Main Street, Suite 415 Rousseau Centre Fort Wayne, Indiana, and she can also be reached by calling (160) 449-7123.
- The state of Indiana offers several tax incentives to promote the state’s economic development. These include a decreasing corporate tax rate, which in 2021 will drop from 6.5% to 4.9% to incentivize the creation of new businesses in the state. Additionally, the state has no gross receipts tax or inventory tax. Programs like the Economic Development for a Growing Economy offer tax credits for the creation of new jobs and improve the living standard for residents of the state.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 379,299 is 73% White, 12% Black, and 7% Hispanic.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 25% under 18 years old and 14% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 143,500 households, with an average of two people per household.
What are the major cities?
The county has three cities and five towns, including the city of Fort Wayne, which serves as the county seat. The other two cities in the county are New Haven and Woodburn. Also, the county’s five towns are Grabill, Huntertown, Leo-Cedarville, Monroeville, and Zanesville.
About Allen County
Named after Colonel John Allen, a Kentucky Senator who was killed in the War of 1812, Allen County was home to the Miami tribe for thousands of years before European arrival. When the county was established in 1824, the initial non-native inhabitants of the area were German and Irish immigrants.
Allen county also has several parks where visitors can enjoy beautiful natural scenery while taking part in activities like camping, hiking, and nature watching. Additionally, the county is home to artistic institutions like the Fort Wayne Museum of Art, Embassy Theatre, and Orchard Gallery-Fine Arts.
Several other attractions also exist within the county with the Fort Wayne Children’s Zoo and the Foellinger-Freimann Botanical Conservatory. The county is also host to annual events like the Greek Festival, Japanese Cherry Blossom Festival, and the Fort Wayne Pride Festival.
The county is currently home to 19,880 veterans.
- Allen County is home to four VFW post:
- Post-2457 Howard W. Bandelier Jr. – 12700 Dawkins Road, New Haven, Indiana 46774.
- Post 10006 Fort Miami – 6814 S Anthony Blvd, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46816.
- Post 857 Jim Eby – 2202 W Main Street, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46808.
- Post-1421 Kekionga – 7712 Bluffton Road, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46809.
- VA Medical Centers in the county:
- Fort Wayne Campus – 2121 Lake Avenue, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46805.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Allen County Veteran Services Office – 1 E. Main Street #106, Fort Wayne, Indiana 46802.
Apply for a VA Home Loan
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
|Name (ID): SAWMILL WOODS (500123)|
Address: FORT WAYNE
FORT WAYNE IN 46835
Status: Accepted Without Conditions
Request Received Date: 06/25/2018
Review Completion Date: 07/26/2018
|Name (ID): TURNPOINTE WOODS CONDO (IN1017)|
FORT WAYNE IN 46774
Status: Accepted Without Conditions
Request Received Date: 09/17/2006
Review Completion Date: 09/17/2006