Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Adams County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down up to $5,000,000* (Subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250* (Call 888-573-4496 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Adams County. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA home loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Adams County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Adams County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Adams County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of March 31, 2021, the median home value for Adams County is $157,455. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $52,504
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $525.
- Individual Condo: $525.
- Manufactured Homes: $525.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $675.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 5 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- In Adams County, there are flood hazard areas located in low elevation areas around Saint Mary’s River, which cuts through the east side of the city of Decatur. Also, the town of Geneva sees flooding to the east due to the Wabash River.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Don Kuhn is the Adams county tax assessor. His office is located at 313 West Jefferson Street, Suite 230 Decatur, Indiana 46733, and his office can also be reached by calling (260) 724-5301.
- The state of Indiana offers several tax incentives to promote the state’s economic development. These include a decreasing corporate tax rate, which in 2021 will drop from 6.5% to 4.9% to incentivize the creation of new businesses in the state. Additionally, the state has no gross receipts tax or inventory tax. Programs like the Economic Development for a Growing Economy offer tax credits for the creation of new jobs and improve the living standard for residents of the state.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 35,777 is 93% White, 4% Hispanic, and 0.9% Mixed Race.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 31% under 18 years old and 15% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 12,476 households, with an average of two people per household.
What are the major cities?
The county has four cities, including the city of Decatur, which serves as the county seat. The three other cities in the county are Berne, Geneva, and Monroe which combined have a population of 6,000 residents.
About Adams County
Adams County was established in 1836, on land that was once home to American Indians who lived in the area for hundreds of years before European arrival. The county was named in honor of John Quincy Adams, the son of President John Adams and the sixth President of the United States. Initially, the county’s most significant resource was timber, which was abundant in the county at the time.
In addition to its workforce and educational institutions, the county is home to several recreational areas like Kekionga Park and American Legion Park. These parks are perfect for birthday parties, picnics, and family gatherings. The county is also home to trails that provide beautiful natural scenery. These trails include the Rivergreenway trail and St. Mary’s Nature Preserve.
Furthermore, the county is hosts several annual events that are fun for the whole family. These events are the Adams County 4-H Fair, Swiss Days, Callithumpian Festival, and the Festival of Kekionga. These events take place throughout the year and make the county a great place to call home and have some fun.
The county is currently home to 1,541 veterans.
- Adams County is home to two VFW post:
- Post 6236 Limberlost – 127 N 3rd Street, Decatur, Indiana 46733.
- Post 6751 Geneva – 740 E Line Street Geneva, Indiana 46740.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Adams County Veterans Services – 313 W. Jefferson Street, #105, Decatur, Indiana 46733.
Apply for a VA Home Loan
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
At the moment, there are no Adams County VA-approved condos. However, it is still possible to get a condo through the condo approval process. Call us at (877) 432-5626, and we will assist you through the process.