Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Mariposa County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down payment up to $5,000,000* (subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250 (Call 877-432-5626 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Mariposa county. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA home loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Mariposa County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Mariposa County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Mariposa County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Pro tip: Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of March 31, 2021, the median home value for Mariposa County is $317,786. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $48,820.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $600.
- Individual Condo: $600.
- Manufactured Homes: $600.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $850.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 10 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- In Mariposa County, there are many flood plains, especially in the low-lying areas. Your agent can help you determine whether you’d be required to purchase flood insurance on a particular property.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- For questions about property tax, you can get in touch with the Mariposa County Assessor, Vincent P. Kehoe. His office is located at 4982 10th Street, PO Box 35, Mariposa, CA 95338, or by calling (209) 966-2332.
- Veterans, owner-occupiers, and senior citizens may be eligible for property tax relief. You can find out whether you qualify through the county assessor. In addition, the Assessor’s Office can do re-appraisals to determine property values and flood risks.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of Mariposa County is 79% White, 12% Hispanic, and 4% Mixed Race.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 16% under 18 years old and 29% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 7,700 households, with an average of two people per household.
What are the major cities?
There are no incorporated cities in Mariposa County; there aren’t any stoplights either! The county is full of rural areas and charming small-town communities. Some of the best-known of these communities are Yosemite Valley, Mariposa, Fish Camp, and El Portal.
About Mariposa County
As one of the original counties of California, Mariposa County’s establishment took place in 1850, shortly after the creation of the state of California. Named by Spanish explores after the local butterfly migration through the Sierra Nevada foothills, the county pays tribute to its roots by annually celebrating a “butterfly days parade and festival. A county’s rich history is primarily influenced by the California Gold Rush, which remains relevant today as multiple gold mines in the area create world-class crystalline gold. These pieces are notable for their brightness and color.
Residents of the area enjoy a unique quality of life. Mariposa County is an idyllic place to call home from the laid-back lifestyle to an average of 265 days of sunshine and four distinct seasons.
With a large swath of Yosemite National Park in the county, much of the local economy and many residents’ jobs link to Yosemite’s tourism industry. Most businesses cater to the 3 to 4 million tourists visiting Yosemite each year. Of further benefit to locals are the lenient Home Enterprise and Rural Home Industry zoning laws that make Mariposa County exceptionally business-friendly.
Additionally, popular activities include hiking, camping, boating at Lake McClure and Lake Don Pedro, fishing in the Merced River, horseback riding, gold panning, and mountain biking.
Mariposa county is currently home to 1,601 veterans.
- Mariposa County is home to one VFW post:
- Post 6042 Keith M. Bertken – 5158 Hwy 140, Mariposa, CA 95338.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Mariposa County Veteran Services Office – 5300 Hwy 49, North Mariposa, CA 95338.
VA Home Loan Information
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
There are no VA-approved condos available in Mariposa County; however, it is still possible to get a condo through the approval process. Just call us at (877) 432-5626.