Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Clay County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down payment up to $5,000,000* (subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250 (Call 877-432-5626 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Clay county. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA home loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Clay County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Clay County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Clay County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Pro tip: Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of February 2021, the median home value for Clay County is $59,149. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $37,233.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $500.
- Individual Condo: $500.
- Manufactured Homes: $550.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $550.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 10 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- In Clay County, there are few areas with minimal flood hazards particularly in regions on the west side that borders Highway 135.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Tracy Gurley is the Clay County tax assessor. Her office can be reached at Clay County Courthouse 151 S 2nd Ave Piggott, Arkansas 72454. Additionally, Tracy’s office can also be reached by calling (870) 598-3870 Monday through Friday from 8:30 am- 4:30 pm.
- The state of Arkansas has excellent programs and laws to create incentives for those who want to invest in the state and create jobs. For example, the Affordable Housing Act provides an income tax credit for any business firm engaged in providing affordable housing. The tax credit is limited to 30% of the total amount invested in affordable housing assistance activities. Besides, the credit may not exceed the income tax otherwise due. Any unused credit may be carried forward for the next 5 succeeding tax years.
What is the Population?
- The county’s population of 14,551 is 95% White, 2.2% Hispanic, and 3% Mixed races.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 21% under 18 years old and 22% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 6,444 households, with an average of 2.2 people per household.
What are the major cities?
The county has eight cities. Corning and Piggott both share the county’s sear. Other cities and towns located in the county are Rector, Knobel, Saint Francis, Pollard, Greenway, Peach Orchard, McDougal, Datto, Success, Nimmons.
About Clay County
Clay County, Arkansas is home to the Matilda and Karl Pfeiffer Museum and Study Center. Currently, located in the Pfeiffer’s 1933 Tudor Revival home, the museum features more than one thousand mineral samples that Matilda Pfeiffer collected over her thrilling life. Plus, the house gardens have extraordinary preservation of plants and vegetation native to this region.
During the fall season, the town of Pumpkin Hollow brings about many tourists. Here they have a fantastic time with family and friends at the corn mazes, haunted barn and woods, hay slides and gourds, and pumpkins grown locally. The Chalk Bluff Battlefield Park is a historical site where several battles happened during the American Civil War. Indicators are placed all around the park and walking paths to remember the sites’ historical treasures.
The other county seat, Corning, has been hosting the Harvest Festival, a celebration of the harvest season – past and present since 1987 every 4th Saturday in October at Wynn Park.
Furthermore, visitors can find historic farm equipment, vintage cars, and many other exciting attractions during the Harvest Festival. Its purpose is to celebrate one more year of good harvest and remember our history. Young and old alike enjoy the day as they are proud of their agricultural community and traditions.
Clay County is known as a military town with a current veteran population of 970.
- Clay County is home to one VFW Post
- Post 4517 Davison & Sherman Hayes – 1 Veteran Memorial Dr. Piggott, Arkansas 72454.
- Post 10480 Rector Post – 267 Susan Circle, Rector, Arkansas 72461.
- Post 8347 Rapert-Poyner Post – 536 East Elm Street, Corning, Arkansas 72422.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Clay County Veteran Service Office – 151 South 2nd Avenue, Piggott, Arkansas 72454.
VA Home Loan Information
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
At the moment there are no VA-approved condos available in Clay County Arkansas. For more information about VA home loans give us a call at (888)573-4496.