Table of Contents
- What is the VA Loan Limit?
- How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
- What is the Median Home Price?
- What are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Do I need Flood Insurance?
- How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- What is the Population?
- What are the major cities?
- About Calhoun County
- Veteran Information
- Apply for a VA Home Loan
- VA Approved Condos
What is the VA Loan Limit?
2021 VA Home Loan Limit: $0 down payment up to $5,000,000* (subject to lender limits) /2 open VA loans at one time $548,250 (Call 877-432-5626 for details).
How to Apply for a VA Home Loan?
This is a quick look at how to apply for a VA home loan in Calhoun county. For a more detailed overview of the VA home loan process, check out our complete guide on how to apply for a VA house loan. Here, we’ll go over the general steps to getting a VA home loan and point out some things to pay attention to in Calhoun County. If you have any questions, you can call us at VA HLC and we’ll help you get started.
- Get your Certificate of Eligibility (COE)
- Give us a call at (877) 432-5626 and we’ll get your COE for you.
- Are you applying for a refinance loan? Check out our complete guide to VA Refinancing.
- Get pre-approved, to get pre-approved for a loan, you’ll need:
- Previous two years of W2s
- Most recent 30 days paystubs or LES (active duty)
- Most recent 60 days bank statements
- Landlord and HR/Payroll Department contact info
- Find a home
- We can help you check whether the home is in one of the Calhoun County flood zones
- Get the necessary inspections
- Termite inspection: required
- Well or septic inspections needed, if applicable
- Get the home appraised
- We can help you find a VA-Certified appraiser in Calhoun County and schedule the process
- Construction loan note: Construction permit/appraisal info
- Building permit
- Elevation certificate
- Lock in your interest rates
- Pro tip: Wait until the appraisal lock in your loan rates. If it turns out you need to make repairs, it can push your closing back. Then you can get stuck paying rate extension fees.
- Close the deal and get packing!
- You’re ready to go.
What is the Median Home Price?
As of January 31, 2021, the median home value for Calhoun County is $63,744. In addition, the median household income for residents of the county is $46,417.
How much are the VA Appraisal Fees?
- Single-Family: $500.
- Individual Condo: $500.
- Manufactured Homes: $550.
- 2-4 Unit Multi-Family: $550.
- Appraisal Turnaround Times: 10 days.
Do I need Flood Insurance?
- The VA requires properties are required to have flood insurance if they are in a Special Flood Hazard Area.
- In Calhoun County, there could be some minimal flood hazard areas along the Champagnolla Creek on the east side. Also, there could be some areas by Caney Creek on the east side of the county.
How do I learn about Property Taxes?
- Teresa Ables is Calhoun’s county tax assessor. His office can be reached at 09 W Main, Hampton, AR 71744, United States. Also, her office can be reached by calling (870)-798-2740.
- As a homeowner, Amendment 79 and Act 142 provide that tax relief to make them eligible able to receive up to $350.00 tax credit on the property that is their principal residence. Also, homeowners who are 65 years of age or older or 100% disabled may receive a freeze on their assessed value, so their taxes do not increase over the years. Mobile homeowners are also eligible.
What is the Population?
- As of 2019, Calhoun County’s population is 5,189, which has seen a 3.3% decline over the last 10 years. Moreover, demographically speaking, 72% of the population is white, with 21% made up of African Americans, and 4% are Hispanic.
- Most county residents are between 18 and 65 years old, with 18% under 18 years old and 22% older than 65.
- In total, the county has about 1,850 households, with an average of two people per household.
What are the major cities?
The county has 2 cities, including the city of Hampton, which serves as the county seat. Thornton, Harrell, and Tinsman are other communities and towns making up the county.
About Calhoun County
For those who love nature, Calhoun County is home to the Moro Creek Bottoms Natural refuge. This is one of the few practically intact tracts of virgin hardwoods that still exist in this state.
This beautiful county has a feeling of togetherness with its many ball fields and playgrounds. In fact, most residents take time for ball tournaments organized at the county’s official park.
Entertainment around water is readily and widely available throughout the county. Plus, hunting is an extremely popular sport for locals and visitors.
Furthermore, the City of Hampton is home to a variety of events. For instance, many enjoy outdoor concerts, festivals at different seasons, and sports competitions. Also, for those that prefer spending a relaxing time with family and friends, they can choose from a wide variety of local parks.
Calhoun County is known as a military town with a current veteran population of 367.
- County Veteran Assistance Information
- Calhoun County Veterans Service Office – 315 Hunt Street, Hampton, Arkansas 71744.
VA Home Loan Information
- For more information about VA Home Loans and how to apply, click here.
- If you meet the VA’s eligibility requirements, you will be able to enjoy some of the best government-guaranteed home loans available.
- VA loans can finance the construction of a property. However, the property must be owned and prepared for construction as the VA cannot ensure vacant land loans.
VA Approved Condos
There are currently no VA approved condos available in Calhoun County. Although, if you want more information about VA home loans call us at (877) 432-5626.